Friday, May 25, 2012

Sew Here's How I Was Inspired

Good Morning,

Today Front Porch Kits
 "SeW ArTsY" kit
is being featured on ScrapScene.com
Check with Scrap Scene for all of your
updates on new trends, tutorials and
kits.
There are still some"SeW ArTsY"  kits
available at the Little Blue House.
 But the number is getting closer to zero each day.
It's exciting to hear all of the positive feedback about this kit. 
Let me show you some projects and what Inspired them.
My altered art projects:
 After attending Art Group at the Little Blue House with
Susan Tidwell at http://susan-artfulmusings.blogspot.com/
I have been making pages for my art journal.
It is a little like keeping a diary, a place to keep personal notes,
 but with your crafted stuff and with no reason but to try something new.
 I fussy cut this lady from the pattern envelope in the kit.
She looked so in control that this phrase "popped" into my head.
"She's In A Class All Her Own." Her hair and pose reminded me of
my Mom so many years ago. The hearts were punched from the paint chip
 that came in my kit. This journal may end up having a page done
from each of the kits.


This collage is made from the embellishments that
came in the kit.  All are mounted on a (re)painted, 5X7 canvas that
I had from a previous project that went awry.
The pattern instructions are at the base of the collage.
The title is cut from a Cricut cartridge and seemed fitting to
the canvas collage.  Included in the kit was an old
wood spool and the colorful polyester fabrics that you
see on the canvas.  I had a few stamps and added those in areas that
looked like it just needed a little something extra.

The red flower is made from gathered fabric ribbon, the ruffled
tape measure is by Maya Road, and is actually made from the
same durable stuff of sewing tape measures purchased from the sewing
department.  The sticker elements are from JilliBean Soup.
It truly is an eclectic assortment of items that came together so well.
This one will be going on a shelf in my upcoming craft space. 
There is some room shifting about to happen when
 son #2 goes to college next fall.

The only thing from the kit on this project is the swatch of fabric.
I saw a similar item on Pinterest and having a few Mason jars around
it was a good project to try. Simple and cute.
Are you familiar with Pinterest? I love it and hate it. 
There is so much to look at but for some reason, each time
I go to check out things I lose 2-4 hours.  (crazy!)

My last altered item is a Mini Altered Book:
A mini version of an art journal. 
Again I used all of the little elements from the kit.
The book I made from 4x4 chipboard taken from paper packs
that I have purchased over time.  I bound the book covers
with white Duck Tape. ( I could have used Sticky Back
Canvas from Claudine Helmuth or the canvas from the
 kit with spray adhesive.)

 I made the little floral skirt because the hanger needed
an article of clothing hanging from it.
And there are the models for the pattern contents.

 The ribbon pennants are from the tape measure ribbon.
More swatches, and a saying from JillieBean Soup
that is not to far from the truth. I lose time when I have a
sewing project. Not as much as in past years because most of my
sewing is for utilitarian purposes now. But, there were many a
meal skipped once upon a time. (Not that I like cooking anyway.)

So do you remember sewing Susan needle packs.
My Mom had several. A fond memory from
sewing with my Mom. That was not in the kit but
it was important to add in.  The zipper and instructions
are in the kit.  I loved the bright orange. 
This is a found item that was made it through
the years from the 70's.  There are many one-of-a-kind
items in this kit to keep each one unique, but all of the kits
included two, either the nylon or metal zippers.

"Where's My GOOD Scissors?"
I phrase shouted out many times around my house.
Not as much anymore because the family has stopped taking the
shiny scissors from Mom's craft area. : )
The other page has the pattern tissue glued to for a textured
background, the Simplicity pattern label, and some
lace seam binding tape ruffled for a border.

This lady's face is from the back of the package of the
Christy Tomlinson rub-ons included in the kit.  She was to cute
 to toss.  The last page is a list of things that make
me "Sew Happy," mounted on a paint chip.

You can see all of these projects on the Little Blue House website or on
display at the Little Blue House, in the store gallery, along with the
other projects made by our Front Porch Design Team.



Thanks for joining on this crafty stroll.

Merry Creating!

Rhonda

2 comments:

  1. Cool post - loved seeing everything with comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would be so nice to hold and look at all the projects on display in the little blue house. Your projects look gorgeous Rhonda - you have used the kit beautifully x

    ReplyDelete